Update: The second edition of the training ‘Humanitarian Surgery in Austere Environments’ for gynecologists, surgeons and assistants starts in November 2019 in Brussels. For more information about the tuition fee and the enrollment procedure
As a surgeon you supervise and coordinate surgery service in its entirety. You ensure the quality of surgical service in emergency room, out-patient clinic, operating theatre, in-patient department and dressing room.
You’re responsible for providing the best surgical care to patients by working in strong collaboration with the team (anesthesiologists, OT-nurses, ward nurses and others) and by training the personnel in the operating room and in the surgical ward.
Read "Changing things is also a profession" for surgical teams.
- Completed residency in surgery with valid degree and current license
- Independent surgical practice after residency is desirable
- Current or recent experience is desirable
- Experience working in resource limited context is desirable
- Experience working in war surgery context is desirable
- Commitment to the values of the MSF charter
Willingness to leave on mission without your partner and/or family and to work in an unstable environment
- Good French and English language skills
length of mission
- 6 weeks - 6 months
- Current Trauma Reports: Surgery with Limited Resources in Natural Disasters: What Is the Minimum Standard of Care?, Mar. 2018
- BMJ: Inter-rater and intrarater reliability of the South African Triage Scale in low-resource settings of Haiti and Afghanistan, Mar. 2018
- Surgery 2017: Sex disparities among persons receiving operative care during armed conflicts, Mar. 2017
- PLOS one: Before the bombing: High burden of traumatic injuries in Kunduz Trauma Center, Kunduz, Afghanistan, Mar. 2017
- BMJ Global Health: Is the South African Triage Scale valid for use in Afghanistan, Haiti and Sierra Leone?, JuneWorld Journal of Surgery: Are American Surgical Residents Prepared for Humanitarian Deployment?: A Comparative Analysis of Resident and Humanitarian Case Logs, Aug. 2017