Head of Mission
As a Head of Mission you have final responsibility for all matters in the mission. In this position, you are the guarantor of good use of the resources placed at your disposition: human resources, finance, and material.
You represent the organization to local authorities and partners. In collaboration with your team, you establish an annual plan of action, you determine the means necessary for its implementation, and ensure follow-up.
You write activity reports for the attention of sponsors and headquarters, and you regularly share your observations and analyses of the situation of the country or region where you’re working. You actively participate in witness activity and make the decisions regarding security of the teams.
In addition, you organize mission staff and evaluate their performance. You’re assisted in these tasks by the coordination team in the capital and project coordinators in the field.
A Head of Mission will have a medical, paramedical, or non-medical qualifications profile, according to the need. The head of mission will possess varied and consistent field experience with MSF or as head of mission within a recognized NGO.
- Diploma relevant for the function, preferably a university degree
- Minimum of 2 years of experience within MSF or a minimum of 2 years of experience as coordinator with another NGO
- Leadership and management of a team
- Strong analytic and strategic vision ability
- Flexibility and ability to work under stress
- Diplomatic skills
- Adhere to the MSF Charter and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to our Behavioral Commitments
Willingness to leave on mission without your partner and/or family and to work in an unstable environment
Length of mission
- At least 12 months