As an epidemiologist you can be employed in the field of program monitoring, program evaluation and/ or field epidemiology.
In the field of monitoring officer you will assure that relevant and validated program data are available. You will assure that indicators are debated within the medical team and inform operational decision. In addition, you’ll assure that data collection and analysis adapt when project activities are re-oriented.
In the field of evaluation you will assess the performance of projects. You will provide recommendations for operational research (mostly using program data, less frequent are prospective studies) to evaluate new tools (drugs, lab tests, …) or new operational strategies.
In the field of field epidemiology you will be responsible for initial assessments when outbreaks are suspected, and you will assure epidemiological surveillance /monitoring systems are in place to inform operational decision making during outbreaks and other emergency programs. When indicated, you will be involved in surveys to orient operational decisions
General medicine diploma or a paramedical diploma with:
- Master in Public Health with relevant professional experience in epidemiology, or
- An MSC in epidemiology, or
- A doctorate in epidemiology (for specialists in infection prevention and control (IPC) - Please view the profile IPC Specialist here
- Relevant professional experience of at least 2 years is mandatory
- Field experience is an important asset
- Good French and English language skills
- Willingness to leave on mission without your partner and/or family and to work in an unstable environment
- Adhere to the MSF Charter and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to our Behavioral Commitments
length of mission
- 9 to 12 months
Meet our epidemiologists
Epidemiologist Neil Saad loves crunching numbers and finding patterns as much as working in close contact with the clinical staff and the outreach teams in the communities. Read his story