Mobile Implementation Officer (M.I.O.) – Energy (m/f)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation. To develop this work, the Logistics Department is recruiting a: Mobile Implementation Officer (M.I.O.) – Energy (m/f)
Within the frame provided by operations, Logistics in the field provide the adequate environment of care for our beneficiaries and our team’s activities. The Logistics Department’s mission is to provide the logisticians in the project, access to resources (information, knowledge, technical support) and professional developments (learning, etc.) for them to be able to carry out their mission.
Energy production and use is key for MSF’s operations. MSF activities are increasing in number and complexity, and ensuring quality energy production has become more important in recent years. Innovative long-term energy solutions adapted to MSF’s different operational realities are needed; solutions focused on beneficiaries and staff health, and which are appropriate for particular contexts or environments.
The MIO Energy is part of the Log Support Unit (LSU). S/he will be able to give the first line support to the field. S/he will be coordinated with the Energy Team Leader to improve and/or implement the MSF process, tools and techniques related. S/he will be proactive to evaluate and propose solutions in line to her/his technical domain.
The aim of the MIO Energy position is to help on the implementation of the energy vision, always ensuring the safety of the people, the protection of equipment, and the continuity of the electrical service. S/he will implement or improve practices in the field for an effective and efficient design, installation, management, and use of the energy settings.
S/he contributes with the Energy Specialist the Energy Team Leader and the MIO HVAC and Cold Chain by giving feedback of the functional status of the energy conditions in running projects.
S/he assists the setup of energy settings in starting or running missions in terms of technical needs, human resources, trainings, and external contractors according to MSF framework.
Provide specialized 1st line support in the Energy domain:
- To support the Log Field Team on the design, installation, use, maintenance and decommissioning of the energy settings (hospitals and health centers, bases and residences) when no local service capacity or formal MSF guidance is available.
- To support the field to increase the abilities and capacities of the Energy Referent and/or Energy Technician: onsite trainings and coaching/support to field electricians.
- To improve and/or implement in the field the MSF protocols, tools and techniques related to Energy.
- To evaluate in the field the possibilities and advantages of collaboration with the other technical families: Heating, ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC), construction, mobility, watsan, health facilities management, biomed.
Provide specialized 2nd line support in the Energy domain and contribute to the reflection on the impact of this 2nd line support on the 3rd line developments:
- To support the Log Field Team on evaluation of local suppliers, maintenance contracts, and outsourced Energy services.
- To support the Log Field Team on the improvement of the conditions of use of the equipment, as well as empowering the sense of responsibility of the users.
- To support the Log Field Team to solve interdisciplinary technical problems affecting the optimal functionality of the Energy conditions.
Provide support when possible to the the Energy Specialist, the MIO HVAC and the Energy Team Leader in 3rd line support tools development, such as:
- Guidelines for designing and maintaining Energy settings (renewable and non-renewable).
- Energy technical trainings.
- Follow-up and supervise outsourced developments.
- Job descriptions of Energy Referents and/or Energy Technicians in the field.
- Technical education (technician, engineer) in electricity or electro-mechanic
- Minimum 1-year experience in related position.
- Relevant work experience in the design of electrical projects and in follow-up and monitoring of electrical works.
- Relevant work experience in renewable energies (design, installation and follow-up).
- Field experience in Global South countries.
- Relevant work experience in health structures is an asset.
- Certificates in technical maintenance are an asset.
- Field experience with MSF or another international humanitarian organization is an asset.
- Experience in coaching and training of staff is an asset.
- Good oral and written communication in English and French (any additional operational language is an asset).
- Mobile & flexible
- Adherence to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment.
- Good analytical skills.
- Proactive and willing to propose innovative ideas and solutions rapidly.
- Ability to set priorities and organize his/her own work.
- Result, quality & service oriented.
- Good teamwork and cooperation capacity / Excellent team player.
- Willing to take measured risks and responsibility for her/his choices.
- Ability to plan and organize in stressful environmental.
- Engineering or technical background with experience in renewable and non-renewable energies.
- Ability to design Energy settings, including maintenance, planning and procurement.
- Ability to compare technical specifications of Energy equipment.
- Ability to create and perform technical trainings.
- Good understanding of electricity and electrical safety.
- Good understanding of HVAC settings, including maintenance, planning and procurement is an asset.
- Good understanding of sustainable building design (alt. low energy building design, energy efficient building design, or passive construction energy systems) and insulation techniques is an asset.
- Proficiency AutoCAD user
- 1 year “MIO contract” – full-time
- Field position: salary according to MSF-OCB Field salary scale
- Position based in Brussels but mainly carried out (up to 70% of the time) in the field.
- Start date: 15/01/2020
Application (CV + cover letter) to be sent to Recruit-HQ-Log@brussels.msf.org before December 5th, 2019 with “MIO Energy” in the subject.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.