Medical Deputy CO Cell 6 (m/f)
- The medical deputy CO is responsible for the medical strategy of the missions in his/her portfolio, together with the Coordinator of Operations (CO)
- Deputy to the CO
- Medical leadership, strategy and coordination
- Guides the Medco in his/her responsibility to implement the projects (coaching, mentoring)
The Medical Deputy CO belongs to the Operations department, and is managed hierarchically by the CO and is functionally linked to the Medical Department.
Strong relationship CO/deputy CO is important in order to speak as one voice.
Strong relationship Deputy CO/Medical officer is important in order to speak as one voice.
In general, this position is not tied to any specific context. Countries are indicative, as a re-shuffling of the portfolio within the Operations department occurs on a regular basis. Nevertheless, the Medical Deputy CO of this vacancy is responsible for the medical strategy of the missions of cell 6. In the portfolio of programs of the cell, there are operations of MSF in Iraq, Palestine, Lebanon, and Syria. The members of cell are based in Brussels.
- Develops a strategic vision for each country under the lead of the Coordinator of Operations, together with the Head of Mission (HoM) and Medical coordinator (Medco)
- Is responsible to develop a medical vision for each country with the MedCo
- Is responsible for the Strategic choices and objectives of the projects, according to the Decision Making process document
- Ensures the medical pertinence and adequacy of the projects with the Medco
- Takes co-decision with the CO to make operational decisions congruent with the needs, the medical identity (prospects) & the medical policies
- Replaces the CO in his/her absence
- Chooses the design teams and support teams as per the Operation Decision making process document
- Validates the final design of activities and resources as per the Operation Decision making process document
- Ensures the medical quality of the projects (this responsibility can be delegated to the Medical officer)
- Supports the Medical coordinator in his/her responsibility to implement the projects (coaching/mentoring)
- Ensures the cost-awareness regarding medical choices
- Interacts with experts on strategy, pertinence and adequacy as per the Decision making process document
- Balances the humanitarian drive in the OPS with the Medical approach
- Matches the medical & political vision (theory) with the operational reality in the field (adaptability, feasibility)
- Contributes to the development of medical policies and strategies by sharing context-specific experiences and by checking their field adequacy
- Ensures that all projects have a pertinent medical advocacy agenda, possibly with an OR agenda. Coordinates the strategy and activities with Advocacy & Analysis Unit (AAU), Operational Research (OR) unit and Medical coordinator
- Communicates medical matters (regarding the projects) to the COM department and occasionally to the media (medical advocacy)
Being flexible, having an open mind, thinking out of the box are essential ingredients for this position. All of the countries are middle income countries, where humanitarian needs are not always evident, not always visible and not easily accessible due to complex context specifications. The MSF action can change from hands on to remote management to giving support to local capacity building etc.
- Medical degree in Medicine (preferred), or nurse degree
- Basics in Public Health and/or Humanitarian law is an asset
- Fluent in English, Arabic is a strong asset
- Minimum 3 years of experience with MSF
- Minimum 1 year as Medical Coordinator with MSF
- Experience as Head of Mission or Field Coordinator with MSF is a strong asset
- Knowledge of the Middle East context is an asset
- Result and quality orientation
- Strategic vision (level 4)
- Leadership (Able to set priorities, make choices, defend the choices and assume decisions) (level 3)
- Teamwork and Cooperation (Team spirit) (level 3)
- Capacity to negotiate (Good communication skills) (level 4)
- Planning and Organizing (Management skills) (level 3)
- Adhesion to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust, Empowerment
Development and maintenance of alternatives / out of the box / flexible approaches to respond to the specificities of the Cell 6 contexts is required.
- Open-ended contract, full-time, based in Brussels with extensive field visits
- Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Pension Plan – Canteen
- Starting date for position is 20/03/2019
Deadline for applications: before 02/03/2019
Interested candidates should send a letter of motivation and curriculum vitae by e-mail to Céline Miroir, Recruit-HQ-Operations@brussels.msf.org, with the following reference: “Deputy Medical Coordination of Operations Cell 6 – job found on XXX (name of the channel where you found this vacancy)”.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.