ICT Field Specialist (m/f)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation. To enhance our support from Brussels, the General Direction Department is looking for an: ICT Field Specialist (m/f)
The ICT vision at MSF today as agile, field-inspired and user-centric aims to drive MSF towards digitally enabled humanitarian operations.
We build, implement, maintain, and continuously improve Information System (IS) Architecture, IT services and infrastructure that support MSF operations’ agility and efficiency. We enable new and more effective ways of working, and we enhance transversal collaboration between functional departments.
The purpose of the ICT Service Desk is to be the single point of contact for ICT related advice and support. The ICT Field Specialist provides 2nd and 3rd line technical support and maintains a deep understanding of mission’s needs. The ICT Field Specialist liaises with the Infrastructure and Applications teams for 3rd line support, as well as with external providers, to ensure any incidents or problems that cannot be resolved at the Service Desk level are appropriately treated. The ICT Service Desk promotes the shared support model beyond ICT boundaries. The ICT Field Specialist team builds strong relationships with logistics (FO/BO/LogCo) and effectively supports field ICT Officers.
Service management excellence is guiding the ICT Service Desk team and its members!
Integrated within the headquarters ICT Unit team, the ICT Field Specialist will be in charge of the ICT support and advice for the field and the headquarters users. S/he will be the ICT advisor for several given operational activities (Emergency, eHealth, health structure…) and will adapt and/or develop the catalogue of solutions to the technical and operational needs. S/he will ensure the capacity to unfold and maintain our activities in the field, even under the most critical conditions. S/he must by all means participate in the elaboration of operational tactics from an ICT point of view.
S/he will be a technical advisor for field ICT officers for allocated missions. Besides supporting users in the use of ICT equipment by providing necessary training and advice, s/he will work on various projects responding to the needs of MSF operations.
Frequent visits to MSF missions will be required.
- Technical support
- Responds to inquiries from users and helps them resolve any hardware or software problems.
- Acts as technical advisor for field ICT Officers (for allocated field missions)
- Participates in deployment and maintenance of MSF and third-party applications, as well as in devices deployment and configuration in the HQ and on the field.
- Prepares and delivers ICT training to end-users, key-users and field ICT/logistics personnel.
- Prepares and updates relevant technical documentation and policies and communicates it through appropriate channels.
- Supports field for recruitment of ICT related people.
- IT Service Management
- Allocates support tickets to relevant ICT unit member (using ITSM tool).
- Manages incidents, problems and user requests within her/his competence.
- Assigns/Transfers complex problems to the 3rd level support and follow-up their resolution (third level support is provided whether by Infrastructure and Applications teams, or by external providers).
- Maintains a log of all software or hardware problems detected (within the IT Service Management tool).
- Analyses support logs on a regular basis and proposes improvements.
- Participates in the definition and the update of ICT services catalogue and ensures existing SLAs are respected.
- Configurations management for field and HQ devices.
- Prepares and executes field visits according to the quarterly plan, or ad-hoc in case of emergency.
- Develops and maintains effective collaboration with field ICT Officers, logistics department Front Office and Back Office members, as well as with other relevant stakeholders within a given set of operational cells
- Searches for hardware and software solutions tailored to the needs of users and meeting the specific requirements of the MSF operational environment.
- Tests new technologies and solutions.
We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate with technical background and strong customer service orientation who has an initial experience in supporting diverse ICT ecosystems.
- Ability to understand the needs and constraints of MSF operations
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances, contexts, tasks, responsibilities and people.
- Good communication skills
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to engage, develop and maintain relationships with users and various stakeholders
- Service oriented – proven focus on customer service excellence.
- Result oriented
Education and experience:
- Initial experience of at least 2 years in providing IT services and support
- Experience in providing technical support for a diverse, non technical, geographically dispersed user community.
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management, or related fields will be an asset.
- ITIL, or another ITSM related, certification will be a strong advantage.
- Experience in MSF or other NGO’s in similar contexts will be an advantage.
- Languages: good command of English and French is required.
- Strong knowledge in troubleshooting and administration of Microsoft operating systems, Windows 7 mandatory.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT).
- Good understanding of PC hardware set-up and configuration.
- Experience using and configuring processes within an IT Service Management tool.
- Practical experience across various operating systems and devices (OS X, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc.) will be an advantage.
- Practical experience in network administration (VLAN, Firewall, DHCP, VPN, etc.) will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of PowerShell scripting language will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of Virtualization technology will be an advantage.
This position requires availability for support visits to the field (ability to travel up to 25%), sequenced in separate 2-3 weeks field visits.
- Open ended contract, full time
- Starting date: as soon as possible
- Based in Brussels (Ixelles)
Deadline for applications: 22/11/2019 - Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Curriculum Vitae and cover letter to be sent by e-mail to Joke.Massa@brussels.msf.org
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.
 Shared support model – business and IT services integration.