Hospital Management Pharmacist Mobile Implementation Officer
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Hospital Management Pharmacist Mobile Implementation Officer (MIO) (m/f/x)
The Hospital Management Support Unit (HMSU) is a multidisciplinary team within the Operational Department. In order to manage hospitals in their proper context and in coherence with OCB strategic objectives, the HMSU has a horizontal role with respect to the different Cells making up the Operational Department, and therefore depends on each of them for guidance on strategy and context.
The HMSU develops expertise in hospital management and, in close collaboration with supporting departments, provides operational support for the team managing the hospitals in its portfolio. This Unit is the direct interface between HQ and the field. Each member has responsibility for a specific topic under the supervision of the Unit's coordinator (Line manager link).
Within the Unit, the Hospital Management Medical Referent, the Hospital Management Nursing Referent and the Hospital Management Pharmacist MIO represent the Medical Department.
The Hospital Management Pharmacist – MIO (HMP MIO) is part of the HMSU and the Pharmacy Unit. S/he
- is responsible within the HMSU for advocating for and supporting the implementation of hospital pharmacies in hospital settings and for ensuring the development, transmission and implementation of expertise in hospital pharmacy management and pharmaceutical care. Supports hospitals’ pharmacies with the necessary tools and skills required to optimize patient care, to increase operational efficiency and financial performance.
- Promotes a transversal multidisciplinary working culture and dynamic within the hospital management team and across the different services (pharmacy, lab, IPD, ancillary services, etc.).
- Is responsible within the Pharma Unit to support the development and the implementation of a horizontal hospital management policy, the clinical role of the pharmacist and pharmaceutical care.
- S/he will be also part of the Pharma Unit.
- Operational role in Hospital Pharmacy Management
The HMP MIO has a direct supporting role with the hospital’s management team, particularly the Hospital Pharmacy Manager for pharmacy management in the following topics:
Analysis and identification of bottlenecks and problematic areas
- Analyses the efficient and effective operation of hospital pharmacy activities
Analyses and evaluates hospital pharmacy resources, such as human capital, pharmaceutical and financial management (annual budget, forecast and international orders)
Streamlining processes and improving workflows
- Provides management solutions that address transversal aspects of the pharmacy, resources and processes.
- Organizes the overall medical product distribution processes within the hospital structures’ process to optimize resources and focus on the patient. Streamlines the organization of hospital pharmacy services.
- Optimizes workflows for teams.
- Provides the field teams with the expertise, tools and techniques adapted to pharmacy management in hospitals.
- Liaises with the concerned technical referents (GPP, etc.) in case of specific issues whenever required.
- Technical support/coach the field Hospital Pharmacists in the circle of Medicine Management and Pharmaceutical Care
- (Continuous) monitoring & evaluation of aggregated medicines use
- Medical Standard List management (elaboration, maintenance, communication, adherence)
- Pharmacovigilance and problems related to medicines use
- Prescription analysis
- Pharmaceutical care
- Strategic medicines management
Medical Stock Management
- Streamlining supply and management of medical items (ensure effective management and supervision in planning, organizing, staffing, directing, controlling, reporting, budgeting)
- Support on stock and consumption analysis: including anticipating and averting medication shortages
- Guides in hazardous waste management of medical items
Good Pharmacy Practices (GPP) for end-user pharmacies (in link with the Operational Pharmacy Management MIO):
- Selection, distribution and storage of medical items in end-user pharmacies
- Good dispensing practices
- Safe medication practices
- Strategic input for operational aspects
Participate in field strategic planning and hospital pharmacy policy development in collaboration with Pharma Unit, cell, etc.
In the hospital’s organizational structure:
- ensures the hospital pharmacy is an integral part of hospital-based healthcare, and is regarded as such
- ensures representation of the hospital pharmacy in appropriate interdisciplinary meetings and/or committees charged with evaluating or making recommendations about services and medication selection and use
- facilitates appreciation and significance of Drug and Therapeutics Committees (DTCs) and/or Antibiotic Stewardship Committees towards hospital management in hospitals with its goals, role, structure, and functions
Engages in and facilitates multidisciplinary collaboration
Ensures responsibilities of hospital staff as related to pharmacy are incorporated in relevant job profiles
(eg stewardship activities, end-user pharmacy responsibilities, etc.)
- Data management and analysis
- To ensure an adequate Hospital Pharmacy data management system is set up and monitored (eg medical stock management, real consumption data)
- To ensure that such information is analyzed and that any measures and actions to be adopted are followed up (coherence between consumption and prescription, respect of Standard Treatment Guidelines in prescribing, monitoring controlled substances, DDD analysis of antimicrobials etc …)
- To ensure implementation, monitoring and analysis of KPI’s for hospital pharmacy management and optimal medication use.
5 -Training & capacity building of health care professionals
- To promote a culture of continuous learning and teamwork while ensuring that those messages passed are coherent with policies/protocols/guidelines/procedures of the OCB Medical Department.
- To develop a strong and cohesive team of hospital pharmacists.
- To develop strong working relationships with key hospital staff and manage key HCP relationships.
- Pharmacist diploma. Any complementary degree in management, hospital management, clinical pharmacy or Health Information systems is an asset.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in hospital settings.
- MSF field experience, with regards to hospital projects, is an asset.
- Management skills: Analyzing, planning, organization and communication skills
- Mobile and flexible.
- Good writing and reporting skills.
- Behavioral flexibility: ability to work in team, high level of maturity in interpersonal relationships, flexibility.
- Good oral and written communication in English and French.
- Fixed-term contract (12 months) - Full time
- Salary according to the MSF-OCB Field salary scale
- Position based in Brussels but mainly carried out (up to 70% of the time) in the field.
- Start date: July 2021
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
Deadline for applications: 21/06/2021
How to apply?
Curriculum Vitae and cover letter to be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Hospital Management Pharmacist” in the subject.
Please name your documents (cv and motivation letter) with your full name. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.