Hospital Management HR Referent
HOSPITAL MANAGEMENT HR REFERENT (m/f/x)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation.
The Hospital Management Support Unit (HMSU) is a multidisciplinary, interdepartmental team, set up within the Operational Department. To manage hospitals in their proper context and in coherence with OCB strategic objectives, the HMSU has a transverse role with respect to the different Cells making up the Operational Department, and therefore depends on each of them for guidance on strategy and context.
The HMSU develops expertise in hospital management and, in close collaboration with supporting departments, provides expertise support for the team managing the hospitals. For all specific hospital management issues this Unit is the direct interface between HQ and the field. Each member has responsibility for a specific domain, here HR, under the supervision of the unit's coordinator (hierarchical link) with a functional link to the OPS Middle Manager of the corresponding department (functional link). Within the Unit, the HR Department is represented by the Hospital Management Support HR Referent.
The Hospital Management HR Referent (HMHRR) is responsible within the Unit for ensuring the development of Hospital HR management expertise in OCB's hospitals and providing support for Hospital HR management at the various hospitals in the portfolio. The HMHRR is moreover the guarantor of the coherence and quality of HR responses to the operational requirements of hospitals in the portfolio.
With the HMSU team, the HMHRR fosters transversal support to hospital management teams, increasing visibility of the unit and networking. Representation in steering committee(s) will be needed.
1. The HMHRR participates in the development of hospital management expertise in OCB, particularly as concerns expertise in HR management, in close collaboration with the HR Department at HQ.
The HMHRR participates:
- In the development of a horizontal hospital management policy: set up, organisation methods, evaluation mechanisms…
- In the development, both at HQ and in the field, of HR with expertise in hospital management, particularly by establishing training programmes and coaching
- In the development and coordination of management and HR support tools (protocols, guidelines, specialised software, data management, etc …) for managers in hospitals.
2. The HMHRR has a supporting role vis-à-vis hospital.
The HMHRR has a direct supporting role with the hospital's management team, particularly the hospital's HR Director, for problems connected with management and organisation:
- Development of HR strategy contextualised to the specific requirements of the hospital and its annual revision.
- Support the Hospital Management Team (HMT) on the definition of the HR budget of hospitals in the portfolio.
- Is involved in designing best fitting organigram (not copy/paste of a generic one) of HMT according to needs;
- The HMHRR participates in the joint effort required to create the institution's appropriate HR pyramid for field hospital posts.
- Provide guidance to ensure the quality of HR set ups.
- Provide tools and guidance to facilitate talent spotting at hospital level.
- In collaboration with L&D department, provides guidance and support to HMT on identifying LnD needs and creating appropriate plans.
- Support the implementation of a correct induction process.
- Management of HR:
- Advises on specific competences needed for the hospital team Validates possible candidates for the Hospital HR Director.
- contributing to national staff detachment initiatives.
- Ensure quality of induction process and debriefings for expatriates.
- Together with HR director, develop and ensure continuity of comprehensive induction process for new staff.
- Hospital Management tools: creates and develops specific HR guideline, tools, policies to ensure quality, efficient and coherent HR management of hospitals
For all these issues and whenever necessary, the HMHRR collaborates with, and is the interface of, key contacts in the HR Department.
Furthermore, for any issue having a legal and/or contextual impact, the HMHRR reports to the HRO of the Cell concerned.
3. The HMHRR participates in the development of specific hospital management competences in the different Pools in order to answer HR needs for Hospital Management Teams, in collaboration with Career and Pool Managers. The HMSHRR therefore:
- Participates in recruitment to the Hospital Management Team and evaluation of its HR Director
- Identifies training requirements for these profiles.
- Increases mobility between resources of the various hospitals in OCB portfolio (national and international staff) in accordance with key stakeholders in ops department
- Assists HMT’s in developing optimal HR management skills such as: mirroring, coaching, empowering, task shifting (where opportune), building development plans, and helping in developing training plans for MoH & MSF colleagues.
4. The HMHRR is responsible for HR information and data management at Unit level:
- The HMHRR ensures that HR information and reports on hospitals are compiled and distributed to the relevant bodies.
- The HMHRR ensures that such information is analyzed and that any measures and actions to be adopted are followed up.
- The HMHRR participates in hospitals' budgetary analysis and follow up.
5. The HMHRR participates in the development of external partnership arrangements, in collaboration with the various supporting departments, to reinforce OCB's hospital management expertise.
6. The HMHRR participates in evaluation of hospitals management quality, in close collaboration with members of the Unit and HQ supporting departments. The HMHRR therefore participates in:
- Development of methodology, evaluation tools, and qualitative and quantitative indicators for hospital management.
- Organisation of visits to evaluate procedures and organisation at OCB hospitals.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in HR management position in hospitals and humanitarian organizations
- MSF experience is an asset
- Experiences or strong interest in HR development programs
- Word, Excel are mandatory; HR.net & Homere are an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication in English and French
- This position may require willingness and capacity to take on coordination responsibilities within the unit. Experience in a coordination role is an asset
- Analyzing, planning, organization and reporting skills
- Behavioral flexibility: ability to work in team, high level of maturity in interpersonal relationships, flexibility.
- An interest in international and humanitarian issues
- Expected starting date: 1/07/2021
- Contract type: Open-ended contract (CDI), full time
- Location: based in Brussels, with frequent travels to the field and in Europe. Potential delocalization of the post after the first year.
- Salary according to MSF-OCB HQ grid – Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Pension Plan – 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
Deadline for applications: 27/06/2021
How to apply?
Please, send your CV and cover letter to Recruit-HQ-Operations@brussels.msf.org and mention “Hospital Management HR referent” in the subject of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.