Admin BASIC LR – PTC intersectional field trainings
Voor deze functie is een goede kennis van het Engels vereist. De functiebeschrijving wordt daarom enkel in het Engels gepubliceerd.
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation. To develop this work, the Human Resources Department is looking for an: Admin BASIC LR – PTC intersectional field trainings (m/f/x)
CONTEXTTraining is a part of interventions to improve quality of care in the field. MSF projects share the specificity to manage critically ill patients (trauma and medical) in a low resource setting.
In order to respond to those needs, BASIC Low Resource Settings (Basic LR) and Primary Trauma Care (PTC) courses are deployed in the field to ensure our teams have the basic competencies to early recognize, assess and manage critically ill patients using a systematic approach.
Both courses are intersectional, endorsed by the Critical care working group and supported by the Medical Directors from all 5 Operational Centres (OCs). Additionally, they are using active pedagogical tools in accordance with adult learning principles (e.g. interactives lectures, case discussions, skills stations and low technology simulation exercises).
BASIC LR courses for doctors and nurses (2 specific trainings) are deployed in the field since 2013 for doctors and 2016 for the nurses. Since 2016, 900 nurses and 445 doctors received the course. PTC (nurses + doctors) is spread in the field since 2018. Since 2018, 200 nurses/doctors received the course.
Given the appreciation those courses have received so far and the large needs for education on critical ill patient in MSF projects we are looking for an assistant to join the coordination team (composed by 3 person) and support the organization of those training:
- BASIC LR for Doctors course - Basic Assessment & Support of Seriously Ill Patients in Low Resource settings - Partnership with the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- BASIC LR for Nurses course - Basic Assessment & Support of Seriously Ill Patients in Low Resource settings -Partnership with the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- PTC course - Primary Trauma Care / MCP course (Mass Casualty Plan. Disaster Medicine/Management training for management of influx of wounded). - Partnership with PTC foundation.
This intersectional position sits within a Training Unit and is under the responsibility of the Medical Training Coordinator for administrative issues and hierarchy, the BASIC LR/PTC Coordinator for technical issues. The Admin (BASIC-PTC) is responsible for the organization of BASIC LR and PTC trainings in conjunction with BASIC/PTC coordination team. This relates to all MSF BASIC and PTC trainings.
Activities and tasks:
Is focal point for administrative and therefore responsible for planning, timely enrolment, smooth preparation and execution of all aspects of training sessions in BASIC LR and PTC trainings.Supports BASIC/PTC coordinator to manage and update all materials and tools used for organizing, implementing and evaluating trainings
Number: in 2018: 41 sessions and 10 cancelled
- Is focal point in terms of processes and procedures related to the running of the trainings in the field, at regional and/or Head Quarters level for all OCs
- Support BASIC/ PTC team for the assessment and prioritization of requests for course sessions
- Facilitates implementation of all training courses on HQ, regional and field level
- Collects feedback on the training sessions
- Follow up of the budget of the trainings
- Enters trainers and trainees’ data in the course management system of the training unit,
- Collects statistics about usage, attendance, evaluations and other metrics
Definition of Procedures & implementation in intersection:
- Participates to the inventory and analysis of the functioning of the trainings from administrative viewpoint, capitalizes the information.
- Participates to establish and formalize the processes and procedures to improve administrative organization of acute care trainings in the field (processes and procedures that may be generalized to other intersection acute care trainings)
- Shares the new procedures with all actors upon approval, is focal point for their implementation, revision and follow- up
Training organization; face to face training on the field/Hr and Blended training:
Plans and coordinates preparation for logistics (training site, equipment, material…) and other issues (training venue, visa, accommodation…) to ensure fluid training execution at HQ, regional and field level:
- Face to face training
- Collects requests for course sessions by Learning and Development or fields and cells
- Liaises with courses referents for PTC and BASIC LR
- Set up, follows up and adapts the training calendar taking in account availability of trainers, priorities and field constrains
- Ensures departures and returns of trainers/facilitators are organized as per mission checklists (VISA, flight, mission order, proof of life, contract, Per Diem, accommodation, contact list, security briefings and guidelines, mission briefings…)
- Enters all participants and course sessions data in the web-based course management system hosted by the Chinese University of Hong Kong
- For field-based and regional trainings liaises with the field to ensure adequate planning and logistics (training room, printing document…) of course sessions
- Ensures training material/equipment is sent on time to relevant training sites and returned.
- Ensures an adequate stock of manual and certificates is maintained
- Follows up the training material/equipment orders
- Communicates with trainers regarding the organization, the participants’ list, the training material, the content of the training ...
- Helps in the organization (logistic, administrative) for HQ based trainings
- Blended learning (online part)
- Register participant in the LMS (Learning Management System) called TEMBO. Tembo is the learning space that provides learning and development opportunities for all MSF staff, both in the field and offices.
- Technical support for participant during and after the training
- Collects statistics about usage, attendance, evaluations and other metrics
- Follow up progression participant
- Moderate the forum of community learners in partnership with BASIC/ PTC coordination team
Establishment and management of pool of trainers:
- Establishes updates and maintains organization of pool of trainers (availability, rolling roster, contracts…)
- Assists training coordinators with follow up for trainers quality and competencies (e.g. TOF participation)
- Briefs the trainers on organization of the trainings and on their role in partnership with training coordinators
- Team building with trainer taskforce in partnership with BASIC/ PTC coordination team
- Manages and is focal point for trainers on HQ contract or flying trainer if any (work schedule, per diem, paid leave, accommodation….)
- Very good written and oral skills in English and French
- Excellent and demonstrated organizational skills
- Ability and willingness to work autonomously and to take initiative
- Good and demonstrated communication, networking and diplomacy skills
- Available for travelling to the field and visit other Operational Centers if needed
- Flexibility to work outside normal working hours (e.g. conference call with internationally based staff, communication with fields)
- Good writing and editing skills
- Solution-oriented thinking
- Think outside the box and propose solution to complex problem
- Experience of three months in HR management is an added value
- Ability to work within a team, multi-tasking and good stress management
- MSF field and/or headquarter experience (preferably field) is a strong asset
- Adherence to MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust, Empowerment
- Adherence to the MSF Behavioural Commitments
- Experience with different MSF Operational Centers
- Medical background/experience helpful but not essential
- Experience in training of added value
- Contract Type: Fixed-term (CDD) contract till 31 december, possibility of extention – part-time 50%
- Location: ideally Brussels (OCB), possibility to be based in another Operational Center
- If based in Brussels: Salary according to MSF-OCB HQ grid - Hospital insurance (DKV) - Pension plan - 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs. If based in another location, conditions may vary.
- Starting date: As soon as possible
Deadline for applications: 26/01/2021
Please name your application documents with your LAST NAME. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.