Social Worker (m/f)
After a year and a half of presence in the Humanitarian HUB in the field of mental health, our activities have highlighted a lack of structural response for the migrant population in transit in Brussels. MSF provides comprehensive and flexible mental health care that meets the needs of this population. The need for flexibility, easier access for the most vulnerable and the need for specialized psychological services are the “raison d'être” of the MSF project in Brussels. In order to have a holistic approach, we must complete our offer of psychological care through a social welfare service. The social workers will have to carry out all activities providing social support to patients according to MSF principles and protocols in order to ease the patient’s social situation and to maximize their adherence to treatment and to improve their psychosocial and mental health conditions.
- Conduct full social assessment of the patients to identify their social needs and vulnerabilities;
- Set up social action plans for the patient and conduct case management;
- Organize referral of patients to the most competent organization or service provider; keep patient informed of referral progress;
- Act as focal person to social partners that refer patients to MSF clinic and vice-versa
- Keep records, statistic sheets and files updated, reporting on social activities, in order to prioritize, develop and adapt the operational strategy;
- Provide the patient with information on MSF scope of work and the limits we have;
- Participate in targeted outreach activities to identify vulnerable persons;
- Be the focal person for the reception of patients in the clinic;
- Ensure proper documentation of all stages as per MSF protocols;
- Ensure confidentiality of the patients cases, and all their related information;
- Prepare the files of patients for the consultations;
- Find support for difficult cases. Refer to lawyer and/or appropriate social services if needed;
- Support in other tasks as per assigned.
COMMUNICATION AND MAPPING:
- Advice the project coordinator about interesting actors to collaborate with;
- Provide administrative and technical assistance to map and update MSF Social Network including government organizations and services, community based-organizations, local and international NGOs and others;
- Support in analyzing the effectiveness of social services to insure proper responsiveness for our cases;
- Actively follow up the evolution of asylum system in Belgium;
- Actively follow up evolution of the socio-medical system in Belgium (Inami, 3rd payer, AMU, Aviq, 107…);
- Contact with other MSF projects and share practices.
- Maintain a close and regular collaboration and exchange of information with the other MSF clinicians promoting at all time a pluri-disciplinary approach;
- Regularly update the team on interesting social activities and the scope of work of our social partners;
- Participate and provide inputs in meetings and case discussions.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Spoken fluency in French, English and Arabic; Dutch is an asset;
- Excellent writing in French - Dutch is an asset;
- Bachelor's degree in social studies, or other related fields.
- Two years’ experience of working in social work and case management;
- Previous experience working in migration context and in a multicultural team is desirable;
- Previous Experiences in working with mental health patients is an asset.
- Networking and building relationships;
- Adhering to strict procedures regarding security issues;
- Ability to be flexible and work across teams;
- Strong organization skills and ability to work on deadlines;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Accountability, Integrity, Trust, and Empowerment.
- 1 year fixed-term contract - full-time, renewable
- Based in Brussels
- Hospital Insurance (DKV) - Pension plan – food allowance – 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs
- Starting date: 13/05/2019
Interested candidates should send a CV and cover letter to Msfocbemail@example.com before the 29th of April, 2019.