Mobile Implementation Officer – Hospital Infrastructure (m/f)
The Mobile Implementation Officer (MIO) Infrastructure contributes to the development of the planning, designing and implementation of health structure projects within MSF OCB. This ranges from assessment, feasibility, designing phases to the supervision of the construction or rehabilitation of the new facility.
Under demand of the Operations, s/he will be contributing to complex infrastructure projects or be involved in emergencies helping the field teams to balance between quality, timing and resources available.
S/he regularly reports to the Construction Team on the progresses of the implementation of projects allocated to him/her.
The MIO Infrastructure is part of the Construction Team under the supervision of the Construction Referent. On request, as a member of the Log Support Unit, the MIO Infrastructure will collaborate with the Medical Department, other members of the Construction Team and other technical families. His/her working time ratio is 75% on the field and 25% in headquarter. During field missions his/her working relations fall under the mission management.
The aim of the MIO Infrastructure is to help planning, designing and implementing new construction or rehabilitation projects. S/he will improve practices and management of those construction projects in the field and provide feedback to the Construction Team on the status of the construction related projects and infrastructures in the fields s/he visits. S/he will keep the field up-to-date with latest techniques; advise the field on best practices and solutions on a regular basis.
The MIO Infrastructure must be clearly aware of the high level of care aimed by operations and the complexity of planning, design, and implementation procedures this involves.
Provide direct support (2d line) to the operations by:
- assisting field teams during assesment and feasability phases (identify contextual and environmental constraints, perform stakeholder analysis, draft timeline and budget with listed uncertainties, draw preliminary sketch options, review construction method possibilities, identify land options, assess existing/planned infrastructures, etc);
- helping field teams to manage and/or follow up design and tender phases (develop (master)plans, review local regulations, update timeline and budget, collect set of technical plans, complete technical specifications, and bill of quantities, prepare set of administrative and commercial documents, conduct market assessment, perform comparative bid analysis, etc);
- coaching field teams during critical phases of the implementation services (site supervision, follow-up implementation of the contract(s) and payments, produce as-built documents, etc);
- facilitating information sharing with the field on latest development and activities as active member of the Log community.
S/he ensures, in a proactive way and through various discussion platforms, that resources and technical processes implemented on missions are adequate and that the project cycle is well managed.
Provide indirect support (3d line development) to the operations by:
- making accessible information on those projects in which s/he is involved, and ensures capitalization and information sharing for use on future projects;
- taking part to MSF internal training events, on hospitals and construction trainings;
- being involved in the Construction Team developments of technical tools, reference documents and guidelines.
- Indicative volume of activities:
- New Hospital constructions (2018-2019 period): 40.000m²
- Number of hospital beds planned: 250
- Estimated construction budget (2019): 20 to 40 M€
- Work in matrix or network mode
- Ensure consistency between MSF quality standard and contextual reality
- High work load
- Ability to change plans and objectives according to MSF needs and requirements
- Work in uncertain / non-forecastable / volatile environment
- Continuous mobility between very different contexts
Contacts and counterparts:
- Log Support Unit members (other Construction Team members, Log Cells and Technical Referents): for needs assessment, assistance in developing integrated design and technical input
- LogCo’s and field Construction Teams: for technical input, reporting and coaching
- Medical referent & Watsan officers: to confirm medical requirements regarding the program and co-develop the designs; to define design criteria for water supply and storage set-up according to medical scenario
- Legal Unit & MSF-Supply Purchase Unit: for contracting services and legal monitoring of the construction process
- Specialized professional in Health Structure design & sizing, construction materials & methodology with homologated architectural and engineering studies
- At least two years of MSF Field experience as constructor / project manager of large projects;
- Field experience in low-income countries is an asset
- Familiar with building techniques such as electricity, plumbing, HVAC, networks, …
- Willing to take measured risks and responsibility for his choices
- Ability to function in stressful / volatile environments
- Experience in staff coaching and training
- Good oral and written communication in English and French (any additional language is an asset)
- Mobile & flexible (extensive travel with possible last-minute changes)
- Adheres to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment.
- Good analytical skills
- Proactive and willing to propose new ideas and solutions rapidly
- Able to set priorities and organize her/his own work
- Result, quality & service oriented
- Good teamwork and cooperation capacity / excellent team player
- Proficient in Health Structure planning and design
- Proficient in construction material properties, resistance calculations & durability
- Proficient in prefabricated manufacturing processes & techniques is an asset
- Proficient in hospital structural safety standards & fire prevention measures
- Proficient AutoCAD user
- 1 year “MIO contract” starting 01/06/2019 – full-time
- Field position: salary according to MSF-OCB Field salary scale
- Position based in Brussels but mainly carried out (up to 70% of the time) in the field
Application (CV + cover letter) to be sent to Recruit-HQ-Log@brussels.msf.org before April, 29 with “MIO Infrastructure” in the subject.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.