Medical Activity Manager Mentor (m/f/x) in Cairo, Egypt
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. We work in over 60 countries, offering assistance to people based on need, irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF Operational Centre Brussels is looking for a:
Medical Activity Manager Mentor (m/f/x) in Cairo, Egypt
Egypt combines several migration facets: it is a country of destination, of transit and of origin. Migrants present or passing by Egypt are mainly from Sudan, Syria, and to a lesser extent from Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia and South Sudan. While some of them are only transiting and expecting to reach Europe from Egyptian’s shores, others are settling down in Cairo, Alexandria and Damietta, hoping for a better future.
The MSF project in Cairo is currently focusing on migrants, refugees and asylum seekers. The project is running an outpatient clinic that specializes in rehabilitation of victims of violence (mainly sexual violence, SV) and offers a comprehensive package of care. This comprehensive package of care includes medical care, psychological care, social support (referrals) and physiotherapy. Each patient has an individualized treatment plan implemented by a multi-disciplinary team (MDT).
For 2021, the project plans to support other partner organizations to offer a similar comprehensive care package to SV survivors (medical, mental health and social). After an in-depth assessment, a mentoring approach needs to be developed adapted to the needs of each partner organization and for the 3 departments (medical, mental health and social).
This project is not a typical MSF project (with ready-to-use tools) and requires a lot of flexibility, open-mindedness and capacity to adapt. This project focuses on migrants and refugees; therefore, a strong cultural sensitivity is required. In addition, the topic treated (sexual violence) is emotionally tiring and re-quires a good capacity to cope with stress.
For the above reasons, the project is a high-maintenance project, which relies greatly on human resources (and their adequate management).
- To assess the training needs and SV services offered by partner organisations
- To develop the medical mentoring approach for partner organisations and ensure the implementation of the mentoring
- To organise the recruitment, induction and training of the MSF mentors
- To develop data monitoring tools in line with the tools of MAADI clinic and with the data collection tools of the partner organisations
Purpose of the post
Defining, coordinating and monitoring the medical activities under his/her responsibility according to protocols, standards and procedures in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition of the target population.
- Coordinating, assessing and supervising the proper functioning of the medical mentoring activities (SGBV and SRH in partner organizations), according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures and through the correct compilation and analysis of medical data regarding patients’ health conditions.
- Participating in the definition of annual planning and budget for the project and in the follow up of the programs / project. Supervising and ensuring that medical activities objectives under his/her responsibility are achieved, reporting to the technical referent any problem arising in the service
- Checking all administrative procedures related to patients’ follow-up (individual card filling, registers, paper exit, discharge, transfers ...) are carried out correctly and according to MSF procedures agreed with the partner organisation.
- Implementing tools for an efficient pharmacy management and monitoring the rational use of medication by the partner organisation. In coordination with the project biomedical service supervising the appropriate use of medical devices and anticipating future needs. Preparing the medical orders needed to implement the medical activities under his/her responsibility, and identifying and reporting to the line manager, non-medical support needs (material, infrastructure, transport, etc.)
- Coordinating and monitoring the daily working plan of the team under his/her responsibility (absent personnel, vacations, tracking leaves ...). Participation in shifts and replaces a doctor, if necessary
- Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and internal communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to improve staff capabilities and to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
- Participating in the monthly reports according to guidelines (i.e. SitReps, medical statistical reports, etc.).
- Medical Doctor degree.
- Master’s degree in public health or other relevant study is an advantage
- Essential 5 years working experience related to the diploma/degree,
- Proven experience with care for sexual violence survivors (minimum 2 years)
- Essential experience with development and implementation of clinical mentoring
- Previous experience with MSF in the field is a plus
- Experience in migration context will be an asset
- Strong patient-oriented and empathic approach
- Strategic Vision
- People management and development skills
- Proven experience in coaching/ mentoring
- Demonstrated ability to design, implement and evaluate training programs
- Service orientation
- Teamwork and cooperation
- Capacity to think outside of the box
- Demonstrated reporting skills
- Essential fluent English
- Expected starting date: asap
- 12 months fixed-term field contract, based in Cairo
- Salary according to MSF-OCB Field salary scale. Transport, accommodation, vaccinations are taken in charge by MSF. Per diem + medical insurance
- No family position
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment alongside multicultural colleagues
How to apply ?
Online applications to submitted by 4th November 2021 latest via the following link. When clicking on this link, you will be directed to our online application tool.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.