Humanitarian Representation Assistant - EU/NATO (m/f)
Position: Humanitarian Representation Assistant
Contract: 12 months at 80% renewable
Deadline for applications: 2nd May 2010
Starting date: 01.07.2019
- MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of origin, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
- POSITION BACKGROUND
MSF’s Humanitarian Representative to the EU and NATO (EU REP) is a member of MSF’s Humanitarian Representation Team (HRT). The HRT provides support to the MSF operations through linkages and actions to and from external networks (political, humanitarian, medical, and civil society). The HRT maintains active relations with its network and continually informs the MSF operations of the relevant analysed information. The HRT influences its network through specific actions for the benefit of the MSF programs and MSF operations’ goals. In carrying out its actions, the HRT responds to direct requests from the operational program managers (desks).
The HRT maintains active and effective internal links to co-ordinate its work. These include the reflection and advocacy centres of the operational sections, the MSF Access campaign and partner sections (regarding their relations with their own host governments and regional networks – e.g. Canada, Germany, China, Australia, etc.), International President, Secretary General, International Medical Secretary & Medical Coordinator, medical working groups and others as necessary. The HRT interacts with the field missions of MSF (HoM-level) in order to improve the overall quality of the support to operations.
The EU REP, in collaboration with MSF operations and analysis units, defines and implements MSF's humanitarian representation towards the EU system at large: relevant EU institutions (European Commission, European External Action Service, Council of the EU, European Parliament), third countries diplomatic missions to the EU, representatives to the EU of non-state actors and opposition groups, UN, ICRC, NGOs/Think-Tanks.
The EU REP facilitates some of the MSF intersection platforms of country operational managers (“interdesk platforms”) as well as some of the work of MSF EU-based partner sections.
- PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The position will be hierarchically and functionally accountable to the EU REP, one of the members of the Humanitarian Representation Team Secretariat. The other members of the HRT Secretariat include representatives to other multilateral fora such as the UN, the AU or the ASEAN, as well as to the governments of the UK, the US and those of the Middle East region. The HRT also works in close collaboration with a broad MSF network of advocacy and representation in the countries in which MSF has offices.
The HRT is managed by the International Operations and Humanitarian Representation Coordinator (IOHRC).
The position is within MSF’s International Office in Brussels and is also accountable to the International Operations and Humanitarian Representation Coordinator (IOHRC).
- OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The purpose of the position of Humanitarian Representation Assistant is to support the EU REP with its functions both internal and external to the organisation.
- MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
For the support on Humanitarian Representation:
- Proactive follow up of EU policies, funding priorities and legislation which are related to humanitarian action;
- Proactive follow up of EU institutions’ agendas, including the European Parliament and the EU Council Working Committees. This includes attending or listening to the video records of key public meetings;
- “Scanning” publications from EU think tanks, Brussels-based NGOs and the UN, outlining key points of interest in relation to MSF operations;
- Support the EU REP in the preparation of MSF talking points;
- Attendance of meetings on request of the EU REP and support with note-taking;
- Ensure the management and regular updates of the internal and external contacts databases;
- Ensure the implementation and maintenance of internal and external mailing lists;
- Follow up on key deadlines, anticipating necessary reminders for the preparation of events and meetings;
- Draft and ensure the follow-up of meeting requests with key stakeholders;
- Ensures the logistic of internal meetings, i.e. room or location booking, IT, VC, food, transportation and accommodation booking, welcome of external participants;
- Support the EU REP on the posting of official MSF information on social platforms as well as with post mail and official correspondences (follow-up letters, official templates, congratulations, condolences, etc.);
- Support with the ticketing and travel booking of the EU REP.
For the support to MSF internal facilitation:
- Support the EU REP in the internal dissemination of EU-relevant information and updates;
- Support the EU REP in the posting of relevant information on MSF Internal SharePoint websites;
- Support in the preparation of interdesks meetings’ agendas and note-taking;
- Follow up on agreed action points of interdesks discussions.
- PROFILE REQUIREMENTS
- Degree in Political Science, International Relations, International Development, Humanitarian Affairs or another relevant field;
- Proven familiarity with the EU architecture;
- Experience of at least 6 months in similar positions with humanitarian organizations or in positions related to EU institutions;
- Fluency in English both written and oral. Preferably fluency in French;
- Knowledge of Office 365
- Good social and interpersonal skills, time-management skills, flexibility, autonomy and reliability.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply