e-Learning Content Developer
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation.
e-Learning Content Developer (m/f/x)
The MSF Academy for Healthcare is an initiative that has been created with the aim to increase the quality of healthcare provided by our staff to the patients we assist in the missions. The Academy has a growing portfolio of projects addressing specific learning objectives of different categories of healthcare staff in MSF. All these projects are chosen in line with overall MSF operational and medical priorities.
A large focus is on MSF’s national staff, especially in the countries with the largest gaps in human resources for health (HRH) capacity. Presently, a lot of effort goes to nursing staff of MSF hospitals in Africa. More recently, the Out-patient care initiative has been implemented with pilot initiatives in the field. The Academy develops adapted curricula and invests a great deal in clinical mentorship in the wards. Presently the nursing training programme has projects in CAR, South Sudan and Sierra Leone and it is planned to be expanded to other countries in the coming years. We hope to install a much stronger learning culture within the MSF operations. Beyond MSF projects, the Academy connects also to health authorities to work on accreditation of its learning and punctual support to governmental programs.
Finally, in 2021 the MSF Academy has started to implement a project to improve the management of Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in MSF-supported structures, and two longer term academic courses: a Post-Graduate Diploma in Infectious disease (PG DIP), and a two-year course for medical managers in the organisation. The portfolio of project of the MSF Academy is growing, and projects are increasing in scope and complexity, the workload of the overall team has increased, and we recognize the need to reinforce the capacity of the ‘global team’ of the Academy.
The Academy aims to maintain the same overall educational approach in all its projects: competency-based learning; as much as possible on-the-job training with the presence of strong tutors or clinical mentors; and seeking to achieve appropriate accreditation for all trainings, often in collaboration with partner teaching institutes.
The MSF Academy e-Learning Content Developer is responsible for giving support in the design, development, deployment and administration of e-learning solutions, always looking at providing creative and best quality services that meet MSF Academy learning needs.
Overall, the main tasks of the Global team can be divided in 5 categories:
- Leadership and Project initiation
- Project management of existing projects
- Administrative follow up and support of existing projects or the overall structure
- Technical expertise, guidance and support for the different programs (nursing, learning, curriculum development, mentorship, etc.).
- Accountability, monitoring and evaluation for the MSF Academy overall and initiatives individually
It was a choice to invest strongly in a technical team. Otherwise, as a relatively small team, all members agree to join in the all 3 first tasks.
Overall, the team of the Academy is small, and desires to maintain a participatory approach in which every member can contribute to the general strategy of the projects, while being available for specific tasks outside its expertise or profile to contribute to the projects.
More information on the MSF Academy and its initiatives can be found on www.msf.org/academy.
Positioning within the organisation
The e-Learning Content Developer reports hierarchically to the deputy director of the MSF Academy, with a functional line to the MSF Academy’s Pedagogical referent, and regular interaction with subject matter experts and graphic designers.
The e-Learning Content Developer will be responsible the following areas of work:
- Carries out and/or coordinates the development, production, adaptation, edits and subtitles of the various e-learning material (videos, SCORM objects, documents, images, infographics and others); this also includes collaborating with subject matter experts in content development
- Uploads learning material of the various MSF Academy courses into the TEMBO LMS
- Guides and accompanies the introduction of TEMBO in the various projects where MSF Academy learners are located (start with the projects in CAR, and progressively in Sierra Leone, South Sudan and potentially elsewhere in 2021). This entails
- Coordination with the TEMBO deployment and technical teams
- Coordination with OCs’ IT department, both at HQ and in the field
- Propose adapted procedures, and document the various required processes
- Accompany field teams and learners in the setting up and start of TEMBO usage (from creation of accounts to using the platforms)
- Is the all-around administrator and support-desk for all courses on e-learning platforms
- Is responsible M&E reporting for all e-learning activities on the platform, and participates in the integration of the data into the overall MSF Academy M&E database
- Participates in the identification of the best learning tools / solutions that best fit the specific learning goals for other MSF Academy programmes (taking into account both pedagogical and technological issues, but also field realities)
- Supports and/or co-facilitates webinars and virtual trainings regularly
Required qualifications and experiences
- Experience with e-learning projects and similar tasks described above
- Proven extended experience and highly skilled in the use of e-learning platforms as administrator
- Experience in developing multimedia and e-learning contents to support online and blended training strategies
- Experience in working for a diverse, non-technical, and geographically-spread organization with poor connectivity environments
- Experience in project management
- Relevant degree or certificate
- Fluency in both English and French a must
- Well-versed with Learning Management Systems and their various technical possibilities and limitations (Moodle, Totara)
- SCORM content production with e-learning authoring tool (Articulate 360 Suite Storyline & Rise, Moodle Book & Lesson)
- Graphic design & video editing skills
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office and/or Open Office, Teams & Zoom
- An understanding of the principles and practice of user-centered design/product development
Personal characteristics/interpersonal skills
- Service orientation, planning and organisation
- Meticulous is a must
- Initiative and autonomy
- Results and quality orientation
- Cross-cultural awareness
- Teamwork and cooperation (as we are a small team, versatility and multi-tasking are sought-out skills)
- Commitment to MSF’s principles
What can be a plus
- Experience/know-how in instructional design
- Experience working in the health sector in Africa
- MSF experience working in the field
- Desirable knowledge of best practices frameworks and standard design methodologies: SCRUM, Agile, Design Thinking, etc. Experience in Agile Methodologies, Design Thinking and UX is an asset
- Expected starting date: 1st January 2022
- Contract type: Full-time contract for one year
- Location: based in Brussels HQ
- Salary according to MSF-OCB HQ grid – Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Pension Plan – 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
Deadline for applications: December 5th, 2021
How to apply?
Please, send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com and mention “e-Learning Content Dev” in the subject of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.