Director of Programmes Department (m/f)
As of January 1st, 2020, in the framework of the Field re-centralisation strategy, MSF Italy (MSF I) will start carry out new operations in Italy. The scope of these operations and the relevant budget are still to be approved.
The coordination of these operations requires that MSF I adapts its structure to this new task.
Moreover, MSF I wants to take this opportunity to rationalize further its activities in the domains of medical support to operations, as well as of humanitarian affairs and advocacy.
As a consequence of the above, MSF I has reorganized its structure establishing a new department, called “Programmes Department”, organized in three main areas – hereafter also “units” - whose objectives are to:
i) manage operations in Italy; ii) improve MSF I medical humanitarian profile, and the support to operations through the development of capacity and skills in a number of medical areas, in line with the multi-year planning; iii) further optimize and develop analyses and humanitarian affairs activities.
Scope, reporting and accountability lines
Reporting to MSF Italy General Director, the Director of Programmes is a member of the Management Team of MSF I. Besides, s/he has a functional line with the Director of Operations.
S/he is responsible for the development and implementation of the strategy and planning of the Programmes Department.
S/he represents and defends MSF-I’s interest before third parties, according to the organization’s charter, policies, and ethics as well as international and national laws and regulations, in order to develop and effectively implement all programmes in Italy.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Within the framework previously defined, s/he defines the strategic planning for operations in Italy.
- Defines the strategy relevant to the Medical unit and the Humanitarian affairs unit.
- Is accountable for and supervises the implementation of projects and programmes and evaluates their evolution, final results and achievements to ensure that organization’s technical and ethical standards are followed and objectives are achieved.
- Analyses the political, humanitarian issues at stake, and health situation across the country through established contacts with key persons/institutions.
- Represents MSF I for operational topics in the country towards institutions, other NGO’s and humanitarian organizations, donors, other MSF entities, media and general public.
- Promotes operational objectives in Italy in coordination with MSF Italy General Director, and identifies the support strategy to operations in Italy.
Management and Interdepartmental coordination:
- Coaches her/his team in the implementation of strategies and plans, in order to achieve the relevant goals and objectives.
- Leads, manages and evaluates her/his direct reports, promoting commitment, collaboration (both internal and external to the Department), motivation and professional growth.
- Ensures good information flows, communication and synergy among all the team members and among the other MSF Italy components.
- Ensures and coordinates the department’s budget/budget revisions; annual plan/annual plan revisions; reports.
MSF Italy Management Team
- As a member of the Management Team, participates in developing and carrying out organization-wide goals and objectives, formulating and managing organizational policies, and in making decisions with an organization-wide impact.
- Is proactive in identifying and addressing possible dilemmas and challenges related to the programmes with the General Director and the Management Team.
- Proactively informs the other members of the Management Team in case of important dossiers having an impact on other Departments.
- Ensures that team members work with other MSF I Departments to coordinate program activities.
- Ensures the integration of program activities with MSF Italy strategic planning, as well as processes and procedures.
MSF International Network:
- Actively represents MSF I in specific working groups.
- Actively represents MSF I in national NGO’s platforms and towards institutions on relevant medical operational issues.
Profile and qualifications
- University degree or equivalent
- At least 5 years of experience in management positions in the humanitarian aid sector, of which at least 3 in MSF
- Extensive knowledge of MSF operational processes and procedures
- Extensive knowledge of operational and humanitarian challenges, as well as of the European and Italian policy context, relevant to migration
- Previous proven experience in managing international projects and dossiers
- Good network in Italy (Institutions, other NGO’s, public health system, academia)
- Computer literacy
- Fluency in English (C1)
- Good knowledge of Italian (B2)
- Strategic Thinking
- People Management
- Initiative and Innovation
- Effective Communication
- Decision Making
- Project management
- Commitment to MSF principles and values
Moreover, it is considered as a plus:
- A medical background
- An MSF operational background of Head of Mission or above
- A previous experience in leading innovative organizational structures
- Good knowledge of French, or Arabic or Spanish
Contract: Full-time, Director’s contract- Fixed term of 2 years, renewable for 3 years.
Duty Station: Based in the MSF Italy Rome office.
Annual gross Salary: between €64.540 and €69.580 according to experience.
Applications: Applications containing a detailed motivation letter and CV should be submitted to email@example.com (subject “Director of Programmes Department”) together with the authorization to the management of personal data (UE Regulation 2016/679).
The application deadline is 25th August 2019. Interviews will start on September 5th.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applicants not invited for interview within 4 weeks from the closure of the vacancy may consider their applications unsuccessful.