Communication Intern MSF OCB Operational Research
4-6 months internship, full-time, based in Brussels with regular travel to Luxembourg
from mid-February or March 2020
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts in over 70 countries worldwide, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed, or political affiliation.
Based in Luxembourg and Brussels, the Operational Research Unit LuxOR undertakes research projects supporting humanitarian action all over the world, identifying constraints in operational settings, assessing innovative approaches, generating evidence on how to adapt or expand programs, and building local operational research capacities.
Disseminating study results, sharing research findings, and facilitating uptake in policy and practice, operational research (OR) builds on strategic communication with key stakeholders, implementing partners, donors, and the public, and runs a set of dedicated communication tools on- and offline. At the yearly Operational Research Day in Brussels in June, key studies and findings are shared with a broad MSF field and headquarters audience of the Operational Center Brussels (OCB).
Position and Objective
The Communication Officer OR will report to the Policy, Practice and Communication Advisor (PPCA) in Luxembourg and the LuxOR Program Officer in Brussels. The candidate will support LuxOR’s public and internal communication and yearly reporting from March to June/July 2020, and help organize the annual Operational Research Day (OR Day) in Brussels in June.
Activities and Deliverables
- Support LuxOR’s regular communication activities in line with the communication strategy and in consultation with the PPCA;
- Update LuxOR’s website, and twitter account with monthly interviews, web stories, operational research snapshot postcards and newsletters, and contributing to joint online contents with MSF Luxembourg;
- Support coordination and editing of LuxOR’s yearly annual highlights brochure, inputs to MSF Luxembourg’s annual report, and OCB-authored scientific publications overview;
- Support the correspondence with speakers and overall organization of the OR Day in June, lead event communications and documentation (program booklet, video trailer, visibility on site), and act as liaison for the association of the Operational Center Brussels;
- Conceptualize and support further communication activities to promote LuxOR’s work publically and across the international MSF movement;
Skills and Experience
- Strong writing and editing skills, with the ability to translate scientific/operational issues into engaging communication contents for a broad audience;
- Excellent written and spoken English-skills, knowledge of French an asset;
- Very good understanding of all aspects of digital communications and social media, experience with web/content management and design software an asset;
- Outstanding organization skills, flexible team player, and ability to work autonomously;
- Interest in medical research, scientific methods, and operational aspects of humanitarian programs;
- Outgoing personality with strong networking skills;
- Flexibility to travel to Luxembourg and other locations as needed;
- Genuine interest in, and commitment to, the humanitarian principles of MSF.
- 4-6 months internship agreement – student status (internship is to be compulsory to obtain the diploma)
- Internships with MSF are unpaid, and no remuneration will be provided
- MSF takes charge of your local transportation cost (Bus, train, tram, metro) and you can benefit from the onsite canteen for lunch (free).
- All duty travel, and accommodation cost related to duty travel and per diem covered by LuxOR
Please send your CV and letter of motivation to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st January 2020.