Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Integrated within the headquarters ICT DevOPS team, as an ICT Analyst/Developer you will support your colleagues in the development of in-house projects and application technical support both for the headquarters in Brussels as for MSF’s field operations. You will be involved in the whole software development lifecycle (SDLC) of projects, often including business analysis and application architecture design.
A great challenge of IT at MSF is to provide services where the conditions of use are unstable such as low, intermittent and often expensive connectivity, secure contexts and extreme sensitivity of data, or harsh environmental conditions. The application domains consist mainly of medical (eHealth, mobile data collection), operational (information and decision support systems) HR and financial applications. We strongly believe that the application of recent technologies to the humanitarian field allows us to optimize our actions and operations.
We expect you to collaborate closely with the other members of the team (program/project managers, integrators/developers) and even with senior users:
- Work closely with program/project managers, integrators/developers, and senior users.
- Assist in the definition of the business case and functional requirements for projects and translating them into precise technical requirements;
- Development of new applications: starting from the technical requirements, you will design, implement, document and finally deploy new applications and services requested by our operations;
- Collaborate in the lifecycle management and maintenance of existing applications
- Document, train and support users
- Support in the definition of policies, and procedures and anticipate requirements.
- Provide training and third-line support to end-users, both in our headquarters and in our field operations;
- Collaborate with consultants and suppliers of other software deployed at MSF.
We are looking for people with a solid track-record in the IT industry, open to new experiences, capable of improvising, able to deal with pressure and come up with innovative solutions - enthusiastic, inspired by MSF’s social mission, and eager to leverage digital technologies for enhancing humanitarian action. If you don’t mind getting your hands dirty, want to make a difference, and are happy working in a mix of technologies, then this job could be for you.
- You are autonomous, self-organized, pragmatic, flexible, and a team player
- You can adapt to changing circumstances, contexts, tasks, responsibilities and people
- You are an active listener capable of challenging given situations with adequate methodology, and with a strong ability to synthesize, and good at communicating
- You are curious and a fast learner; you are open to share your ideas
- You’re a good generalist
- Familiarity with project management concepts and methodologies is an asset
- Familiarity with documentation systems and collaboratives tools is an asset
Education and experience:
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management, or related fields, or equivalent workforce experience
- Experience of at least 5 years in software development. More senior profiles are encouraged to apply.
- Experience with MSF or other NGO’s in similar contexts will be an advantage
- Experience in professional IT fields such as cybersecurity, service management, is an asset
- Languages: good command of English; French is an asset
- Solid knowledge of Software development lifecycle
- Extensive programming experience, solid knowledge of modern application development techniques and programming languages, preferably including test-driven development.
- Good knowledge of Linux, Docker, CI/CD principles, version control using Git
- Strong knowledge of the Internet protocols such as TCP/IP, HTTP, and DNS
- Good understanding and experience of Web Services: GraphQL, REST, SOAP
- Knowledge of Python, Java, Nix, or Kubernetes is a plus
- Experience with web application programming and architecture
- Experience in database design, development and SQL in general
- Experience with web & Application Servers (Apache, Tomcat, NGinx)
- Experience with Kobo, DHIS2, and Bahmni/OpenMRS is an asset
- Experience with middleware technologies & patterns is an asset
- Knowledge of Azure and Office 365 technologies such as SharePoint & Power Platform is a plus
- Experience with UI design is considered a plus
- Expected starting date: As soon as possible
- Contract type: open-ended (CDI), full-time, based in Brussels
- Salary according to MSF-OCB HQ grid – Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Pension Plan – 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
Deadline for applications: November 1, 2021
How to apply?
Please, send your CV and cover letter to Recruit-HQ-DG@brussels.msf.org and mention “Analyst/Developer” in the subject of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.