Strategic Planning & Project Management Coordinator
Strategic Planning & Project Management Coordinator (m/f/x)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Driven by MSF’s goals, the MSF Operational Center Brussels (OCB) Supply chain’s mission is to enable humanitarian action and provide reliable supply chain solutions. It comprises several sites, in each mission on the field (projects and capital), with MSF Supply its European Supply Center, and the Kenya Supply Unit its regional hub. The Supply Chain Department defines the global strategy of this supply chain, pilots its performance, and ensures that each site has the relevant support for its development.
This position’s purpose is to ensure the OCB Supply Chain has a well-defined Strategy for the years to come, which is understood, aligned and whose implementation is monitored in all its sites. Subsequently, his/her role is to ensure the Strategy is translated into a coherent portfolio of projects delivering their intended value.
Under the supervision of the Supply Chain Director, the Strategic Planning & Project Management Coordinator (SP&PMO):
1. Ensures the OCB Supply Chain has a well-defined Strategy for the years to come, comprising of specific Strategic Objectives and indicators of success. He/she makes sure the Strategy is well understood by all staff and makes sure all sites are aligned and contribute to it.
2. Ensures the Strategy is translated into coherent portfolios of projects at all levels and that the decisional bodies can take informed decisions about project prioritization, conflict and interdependencies resolutions and resource allocation.
3. Monitors the Strategy roll-out, the achievement of the intended Strategic Objectives and the overall performance of the portfolio of projects and advice the decisional bodies about preventive/corrective actions to be taken. Owns the agenda of the Strategic Planning and triggers review of the Strategy when need be.
4. Support teams delivering their projects along all phases of the Project Lifecycle and on time, in scope. Help mitigate the risks and ensure the Supply Chain derive the intended benefits from its projects.
5. Ensures the OCB Supply Chain Strategy and derived projects are aligned and communicated with our partners inside the OCB (other departments) and at international level.
6. Ensures a relevant methodology is defined for both Strategic Planning and Project Management functions. Provides training to the teams on their use.
7. Collaborates with relevant function/department for budget and workforce alignment as well as overall organization with the rest of the OCB.
Position in the supply chain department:
The SP&PMO works closely with the Management Team of the OCB Supply Chain Department, advising and supporting in formulating, monitoring the progress and reviewing the Strategy. The SP&PMO provides aggregated reporting regarding Strategy execution and Portfolio performance so that the Management Team can take informed decisions.
Equally, the SP&PMO has a privileged access to the decisional bodies of all sites of the OCB Supply Chain as well as to the international/intersectional responsible for Strategy and Project & Portfolio Management.
The SP&PMO is a member of the iPMO (Sections’ PMO Heads platform), OCB PMO (OCB departments PMOs platform) and ESC PMO platforms (European Supply Center).
The SP&PMO works in close collaboration with all Project Team at all levels.
• Further develop and refine the Strategic Cycle Framework (formulation – execution – monitoring - adjustment)
- Ensure all steps in the Strategic Cycle are supported by relevant tools and processes
- Train the relevant teams to the use of the methodological tools and provide hands-on support when needed
• Support the decisional bodies along all steps of the Stategic Cycle
- Help define the long-term strategy, specific objectives and indicators of success through facilitation and organization of workshops
- Provide high level reporting, advice on actions to be taken and support decision making process
• Accompany all sites of the OCB Supply Chain in aligning their priorities with the Strategy set at department level so that they contribute to it.
• Communicate the strategy and priorities of the OCB Supply Chain with all relevant partners inside and outside the OCB. Ensures interdependencies are identified to propose mitigation measures and foster synergies.
- Liaise with the internal communication department to deliver Strategy –related content adapted to all audiences
- Liaise regularly with the PMO (or similar) of other departments inside OCB, at international level and in the other ESCs.
PROJECT, PROGRAM & PORTOFLIO MANAGEMENT
• Further develop and adapt the project and portfolio management methodology
- Refine and adapt the methodology so as to align with the complexity, scale and level of risks of our projects
- Give training and liaise with offered trainings internally/externally
- Advice Projects Managers and teams in their journey to become professional
- Promote a Project Management culture.
• Support the decisional bodies in the management of their portfolios of projects
- Facilitate the selection and prioritization of projects based on objective criteria and alignment to the Strategy
- Monitor progress and overall performance of the portfolios of project and advice on actions if need be
- Identify interdependencies so as to mitigate risk of conflict in resources/priorities and foster synergies across all projects.
• Support the projects teams in delivering their projects, on time in scope
- Ensure minimum compliance with the standard processes and tools
- Offer on-call support in the form of coaching and facilitation
• Promote Strategic Planning & Project Management principles within the OCB
• Management related Master’s degree or equivalent work experience
• Minimum 2 years of professional experience in project, program and portfolio management. A project management certification is an asset
• Experience with MSF is a strong asset
• Good communication and coordination skills
• Proactive, autonomous and rigorous
• At ease in public
• Fluent in English and French, Dutch is a plus.
- Expected starting date: May 2021
- Contract type: fixed-term contract (CDD), 12 months
- Location: based in Brussels
- Salary according to MSF-OCB HQ grid – Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Pension Plan – 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
Deadline for applications: 21 April 2021
How to apply?
Please, send your CV and cover letter to Patricia.Nowakowski@brussels.msf.org before 21/04/2021 and mention “SP&PMO” in the subject of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.