Field Associative Project Leader
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Field Associative Project Leader (m/f/x) – MSF Belgium – Brussels
MSF is a worldwide movement of 25 associations, 6 operational centers, 23 sections and various other offices. They are bound together in the MSF international association, and MSF-Belgium is the legal hub for the operational center in Brussels (MSF-OCB) which is run by 9 MSF associations (Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, Hong Kong, Italy, Luxemburg, Norway, South Africa and Sweden) and one branch office (Lebanon).The role of the MSF-B/OCB association is to ensure good governance and to safeguard the MSF identity and its core principles at all levels of the organization.
As the Field Associative Project Leader, you report directly to the Board President of MSF OCB/B. You interact on a daily basis and in a non-hierarchical team relationship with the other members of the associative team at HQ and with the executive, the different executive departments and units (Operations, Communications, HR, L&D Unit etc.) in order to create synergies and ensure their input and ownership of associative dynamics in the field.
The mission is to ensure and to support the development of a dynamic and autonomous associative life in the MSF OCB field missions, foster field associations that with the buy in and active participation from the executive carry added value (directly and indirectly) for the operations and the social mission of MSF.
The importance of developing and maintaining an associative life in all missions has been put forward as a priority for many years (OCB motion in 2008, the international Associative Roadmap in 2015, the launch of the APPLe (Associative Project & Participative Leadership) project in 2016) with the purpose to promote better knowledge of MSF by all the staff as well as to promote the culture of debate throughout the year, not only in relation to challenges the MSF movement faces, but also in relation to the mission’s own challenges. The steps taken (associative project document and budgeting as part of the mission’s project portfolio, APPLe project manager within the operations department responding to DO, etc.) have brought us forward but there are still steps to be taken, at least when it comes to the strengthening of the ownership from the executive.
The focus, which has centered on participation in the set-up and implementation of the field associations, will now move towards support for more autonomous functioning by stressing the added value of the associative principle to the executive in the field.
Under the supervision of the MSF-OCB/B President, the Field associative project leader will focus on:
In collaboration with the MSF-OCB/B Boards and President, you work at the development of the associative strategy, action plan and budget. You develop and implement specific projects to advance the objectives of the associative both in MSF-B, OCB and internationally.
Associative Life in the Field
Building on the efforts and the lessons learnt in the past you:
- ensure the follow up and support the implementation of associative projects in all missions
- Stimulate the creation of mission strategies and resources that enable the dynamic and autonomous associative life in all projects
- Project document with objectives (link to mission specific challenges), operational plan (structure and organization), plan of action (log frame) and budget
- Promote implication and ownership by the operations
- Reactive and proactive support to the field associative networks
- Keep record of associative focal points and other stakeholders, and ensure regular contact, coaching and capacity building
- Support the associative networks in countries where the mission has been closed
- Support cross fertilization and communication in between missions and promote visibility
- act as a referent to the operations department on associative matters
- briefing and debriefing of field managerial positions
- ensure Associative Life in the Field (ALF) component in different trainings of operational staff
- stimulate the link the Field opportunity envelop and the associative vision
- development of associative support functions closer to the field projects
- strengthen the ownership of the associative life in the filed in line with the field recentralization initiative
- ensure the field association link to OCB and International governance platforms
- support the Field Associative Debates (FAD) process
- support the motions committee
- link with field representative initiative at the OCB Board
- liaise with the international movement (other OCs and International Office)
- intersectional coordination and synergies in the field
- define the role of regional associations in relation to ALF
In coordination and collaboration with the Association Projects Coordinator you ensure the implementation of associative projects in line with approved Action Plan for the Brussels Association Team aiming for associative capacity building, access to information, participation, meaningful membership and mobilization of members and staff generally, but with particular focus on the strengthening of the associative nature of MSF in field missions and projects.
Other associative activities
As a member of the associative team you will take on additional tasks with regard to:
- OCB association coordinators network: foster a shared ownership, facilitate operational connectedness, stimulate the sharing of workload and the development of shared tools and dossiers.
- International Association coordinators network: ensure good communication and information exchange, look for synergies and contribute to shared dossiers.
- General functioning of the associative governance system of MSF-B/OCB and its platforms / activities.
- 3-5 years of MSF field coordination experience, including monitoring and analysis of project outcomes
- Field experience as Project Coordinator or Head of Mission is an asset
- Previous experiences in MSF Associative activities is an asset
- Experience with participatory leadership practices
- Practical experience with Associative activities in the field is an asset
- Interest in and commitment to MSF’s associative principles
- Good understanding of operations
- Organizational skills
- Ability to see the global picture, engage with multiple stakeholders and cross-cutting issues, synthesize complex written and oral information; drafting and editing abilities
- Strong communication skills and change management skills, diplomatic
- Able to work independently and in team
- Dynamic, pro-active and taking initiatives
- Flexible (also with regard to work outside normal working hours)
- English & French are essential
- Willingness and availability to travel
- Flexibility to travel on request
- Expected starting date: January 2023
- Location: Brussels (Belgium)
- Mobility of 30% in the field
- Contract type: Open-ended contract – Full time
- Belgian contract; Salary according to MSF-OCB HQ grid
- Meal Vouchers - Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Pension Plan – 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs – In-house canteen at fair prices
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
Deadline for applications: 5 December 2022
How to apply?
Please, send your CV and cover letter to Recruit-HQ-Asso@brussels.msf.org and mention “Field Associative Project Leader” in the subject of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.