Coordinator of the Operations - Cell 2
For this fonction, MSF experience is mandatory
Coordinator of the Operations (m/f/x)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare.
MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. Our actions are guided by medical ethics and the principles of neutrality and impartiality. Today, MSF is a worldwide movement of 25 associations, bound together as MSF International, based in Switzerland.
The Coordinator of operations belongs to the Operations Department and is responsible for the overall vision and strategy of the missions of the Cell 2, which currently manages the MSF projects in Egypt, Greece/Balkans, Bangladesh, Mali and Nigeria and will be focusing in the near future only on the Western African region
He/She keeps an overview of the implementation and represents the missions in his/her portfolio towards the MSF movement and the external world.
This position of Coordinator of the Operations is not tied to any specific context. Countries are indicative, as a reshuffling of the portfolio within the Operations Department occurs on a regular basis.)
Develops a strategic vision for each country with the Deputy Coordinator of Operations (DCO), Heads of Mission (HoM) and Medical Coordinators with input from Medical and Analysis departments
Guides the country teams into the planning, running and landing/closing of operational projects in the respective countries;
- Is responsible in finalizing with country teams the different operational process milestones (Multiyear/Annual Review of Operations (MY-ARO), Quarterly Monitoring Meetings (QMM), OPS Snapshots, new project intentions and final project proposals (former COPRO);
- Is responsible to keep an overview of the implementation of operational activities with the other cell members and the HoMs;
- Is responsible for the choice of the design teams and support teams as per Operation Decision making process Document; Fosters a transversal support dynamic to enhance the quality of the support to the operations.
- Guides the HoM in his/her responsibility to implement the projects (coaching, mentoring);
- Represents the missions in his/her portfolio to the MSF International network and externally;
- Represents the cell for external actors;
- Is responsible for the information flow internally (Field, Cell, OCB departments, OCB Partner Sections and other OC’s);
- Ensures that projects have a pertinent advocacy strategy;
- Identifies important topics for communication (and/or support the missions to do so);
- Is responsible that the HR are properly managed in the missions in his/her portfolio;
- Is responsible that the Logistic is properly managed in the missions in his/her portfolio - Log strategy;
- Is responsible that budgeting and internal control is properly managed in the missions in his/her portfolio;
- Responsible for the Budget of the missions in his/her portfolio;
- Final responsible of the security for the missions in his/her portfolio;
- Participates in the recruitment of HOM, manages and evaluates the HOMs;
- Participates in the recruitment of his/her cell’s members;
- Evaluates the cell (med, HR, log, fin) with the concerned Middle Manager;
- Minimum 5 years in management position
- Minimum 3 years MSF experience of which 1 year minimum as Head of Mission.
- Excellent strategic vision
- Leadership (strong leadership capacities, team management skills, able to make choices and assume decisions).
- Planning and organizing (set priorities and organization skills).
- Behavioral flexibility (high level of maturity in interpersonal relationships, flexibility in travel & working hours)
- Networking and Building Relationships (Representation)
- Comprehensive knowledge of humanitarian intervention.
- Experience or real interest in issues like access to drugs, epidemics (malaria, TB & HIV, measles, meningitis), humanitarian action in conflict settings humanitarian and human rights laws, public health, IDPs and refugees, geo-politics and emergency response.
- Good oral and written communication in English and French (additional language is an asset)
- Expected starting date: 15/08/2021
- Contract type: Open-ended (CDI) – full time.
- Position mandated to 4 years, extendable with 2 years.
- Location: based in Brussels with regular field visits (at least once a year per Country)
- Salary according to MSF-OCB HQ grid – Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Pension Plan – 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
Deadline for applications: 26/05/2021
How to apply?
Please, send your CV and cover letter to Recruit-HQ-Operations@brussels.msf.org before 26/05/2021 and mention “CO Cell 2” in the subject of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.